- Q. What types of special events do you have?
- A. Our special events can fit any type of event that you are hosting. For example, our special events can take the form of shows, science days and fairs, family nights, and science booths with super fun hands-on experiments and make-&-takes if you like. In essence, a "special" event is where you have an interest in doing some very fun and entertaining science, but the event is NOT an Enrichment (Right) After School Program, a Workshop during the School or Day Care Day, a Camp Week, nor a Birthday Party. Birthday Parties are clearly a special ocassion, but we have specific programming for them, just as we do for the camps, workshops, and enrichment events! So ... a "special" event is WHAT IS OTHERWISE SPECIAL TO YOU OR YOUR ORGANIZATION!
- We have done so many special events at Mad Science of Iowa, you should give us a call and tell us what your event is, and we will likely be able to design something for you that will work quite well.
- Q. How many children can a show accommodate?
- A. This is limited only by the size of your facility, local fire code capacity figures, etc.
- Q. How long does a show last? How about a special event?
- A. A show, which is one kind of special event, generally lasts from 45 to 60 minutes, depending on your needs. It can be preceded by, or followed by, a make-&-take activity that might take about 30 minutes depending on group size. It can be preceded or followed by, hands-on experiment booth(s), and the time on this might be an hour or so depending on the number of booths. Or, you could do a variety of booths, some with hands-on experiments, and others with make-&-takes. So while a Show itself is pretty contained in its time length, we have done Special Events that have lasted multiple hours!!
- Q. What kind of space is best suited to a Mad Science Show/Special Event?
- A. An ideal show location would be an area with an open space for the children to sit on the floor, while adults are seated in chairs along the sides/towards the back. For any preschoolers involved, parents are encourage to sit on the floor with them. For other special events, if booths are involved, we just need reasonable space around each booth to accomodate the children. If it is a hands-on booth, space for a smaller number at one time. If a demonstration booth, large numbers need accounted for. Mad Science special events generally work best when held indoors. However, they can be performed "outdoors" where sheltered from the elements, wind, heat/cold, and sun.
Q. Are there any special lighting requirements?
A. Not really. For some of our show experiments, we have need to turn down/off the lights, so we just need to know if your lights turn back on essentially right away, or if they take some minutes. This way we can arrange these experiments as interspersed throughout the show, or all at the end.
- Q. Do we need to provide Mad Science with any equipment?
- A. Not much. For a show we need about 20 feet of rectangular table for the experiments and supplies involved. For booths, we will need a 6 to 10 foot rectangular table (for each booth) to place our equipment on. It is very important to note: Before we arrive, we need you to have already set-up the rectangular tables in the room where you want us. Then, depending on the show you select, we may need access to an electrical outlet (please inform us if your facility is 2-prong), and access to a high-spout sink or custodian's closet.
- What about a microphone? If it is a large crowd, and you have a wireless mic, we will use it! If it is a large crowd, and all you have is a wired mic, please go ahead and set it up, as we will probably use it ocassionally. If you do not have a mic at all, the show mad scientist will probably just need some water to keep the "pipes lubricated"!
- Q. Will we require additional staff for clean-up after the event?
- A. Not required, but help is always welcome! The Mad Scientist(s) will need about 25 to 40 minutes time for packing and cleaning-up after the event, depending on if help is able to be provided or not.
- Q. How long in advance should I begin to plan for a Mad Science event?
- A. Contact us as soon as possible. We have had customers book us a year or more in advance. Typically most customers book us two to five months in advance. The sooner you contact us the better, so we can make sure we have ample time to execute the planning necessary for you event needs ... Mad Scientist availability, ordering of make-&-takes or supplies/equipment, or for any unique needs you may have.
- Q. How do I book a Special Event?
- A. Just call us at 515.865.1766 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Almost all inquires are responded to within 24 hours, and often within the same day if at all possible.
Finally…BE PREPARED TO HAVE FUN AND BE ENTERTAINED, WHILE ALSO LEARNING SOMETHING ABOUT SCIENCE!